Tuesday, January 19, 2016

"Not a Stick" Book Review

Every trip to the library is an adventure. Kayla plays while I gather books for the next week. There are so many choices and I often flip through book after book before I find one that looks interesting. This wasn't one of them. I don't know what inspired me to get this book because it's mostly pictures and only one sentence per page. Kayla, while only 3, is listening to chapter books like "Mercy Watson" and "The Magic Tree-House". I always try to get a verity, so somehow this one made the cut.

What a gem. This book really spoke to her. It has sparked her imagination in a wonderful way. The little pig with a big imagination uses the "stick" as everything but a stick. I have read it to her 4 or 5 times. She had both of her Grandparents read it to her and has thumbed through it several times herself.

She has also started running around the house with a empty paper towel roll saying "Mom, say: What are your doing with that stick?" When I do, she replies with, "It's not a stick." and acts something out from the book.

I would recommend this book to anybody with a little one who loves to pretend. I can't wait to get back to the library and see if they have the book, "Not A Box" by the same author, Antoinette Portis. I give this book a big thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment